Sunday, July 24, 2005

Walmart Supports the Arts

In general, I hate Walmart. I hate its vendor policies where suppliers are supposed to cut prices to the point where they go out of business. I hate their policy of undercutting the local stores until they go out of business. I hate that they treat their own employees like slaves, paying them minimum wage and expecting them to work overtime for nothing.

Despite all that irritates me about that company, (and I didn't cover all my grievances) I came across this article and thought it worth sharing. If you have made money off the backs of others then you should, at the very least, give something back.

Alice Walton, daughter of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton, unveiled plans in May for a $50 million art museum and cultural center to be built within walking distance of downtown Bentonville, Ark., long-time home of the mega-retailer.

Situated on 100 acres donated by the Walton family, the 100,000-sf museum will house galleries, a library, a 250-seat lecture hall, classrooms, and administrative offices. Sculpture gardens, walking trails, and outdoor areas for concerts and public events will interweave the museum buildings, which will showcase Alice Walton's collection of paintings and sculptures by American artists from the American Revolution to the modern era.

No comments:

Post a Comment